As a vital part of our mission to provide an exceptional college preparatory education, students at Tattnall Square Academy are encouraged, and at some grade levels required, to participate in our Summer Reading Program. The summer reading material for lower grades is designed to encourage of a love of reading by suggesting age appropriate material for each grade level. Additional information can be found in the summer reading packet that is published annually in the spring.
For grades 7-12, summer reading forms a bridge into the work students will be doing in their English classrooms during the upcoming school year. Studies show that as a result of such programs, students have better retention of knowledge, better preparation for school in the fall, increased literacy rates, and better preparation for the SAT/ACT. The selection of choices for each grade level are designed to include the classics but also include choices as to interest, reading level, and genre. The goals of the Middle and High School Summer Reading Program include the following:
- to encourage a variety of selected texts
- to foster an appreciation of the classics
- to develop a broader vocabulary and sense of language structure
- to improve reading comprehension
- to provide a degree of choice for the student
- to encourage spreading the reading over the summer